Popular Post

~Have your Cake and Eat it Too!~

Happy Tuesday!
So as promised a weekend recap including my baking fun times.

First off, how was your weekend?  I love to hear about my blog buddies lives so do share
:-)

Ours:
Friday:
Grouting grouting grouting until 10 pm, pretty crazy party animals we are!
BUT the bathroom is looking fantabulous, will share pics when complete!

Saturday:
BAKING!
Some of you may have read my Strawberry Rufle Cake post . . .

So I made this fancy shmancy ruffle cake for my Mom-in-law's birthday.
Baked 5 hours (between freezing to set, layers, frosting, cooling and reading blogs in between!)
And then we met them up for an AMAZING dinner at this cute little Italian place La Rustica in Seattle.
Note to self: scrunchy smiley face: not hot!


I ordered ox tail and polenta . . . mussels for app and some yummmmy vino!


Happy Birthday Maria!

Ok so here's the cake breakdown:







So my very first attempt at a fancy cake turned out ok . . .
the in-laws were so excited and impressed and that's all that mattered!

Lessons learned:
1) Martha Stewart is not always perfect (frosting was wayyyy runny but maybe an operator error?! He he.) Next time: find an amazing frosting recipe.

2) If using lots of frosting, tone down the cake flavor.  A little too strawberry and sweet?

3) Cut of the crust BEFORE layering.  Biggest lesson learned!

So all in all it was so much fun and turned out good, but I'm striving for amazing!!!

Any Master-Bakers out there wanting to share some tips?!